Thursday, September 16, 2010

Vasar (pronounced "Vah-shar")


Last weekend the Vasar was held in our town.  A vasar is like a county fair, flea market and town celebration all rolled up into one!  It's a lot of fun, and I enjoy going to it each year (missed last year, obviously!).  I liked these hats that were for sale - thought of Kelli.


Again, thought of Kelli when we saw "horsey stuff"!  It really is amazing.  During vasar, every imaginable item is for sale!  Booths are set up all over the place with vendors selling crafts, clothes, toys, plants, food, auto parts, home goods, candy, music, and on and on!  I bought some potted plants and got a great deal! 
Also, there were carnival rides.  Can you see the Uncle Sam on the sign on the right? It was some sort of mini roller coaster - called Crazy Train!  Big hit with the kids!



And with every event in Serbia, there must be food!  Of course, there are roasted pigs, slowly turning over the fire. 

And there are the hamburger (called pljeskavica) stands with lots of grilled meats.  Yummy, yummy!

All in all, it was a great day at the fair!  I got my mums for my front porch, we saw lots of fun things, and we enjoyed another great part of Serbian culture! 

1 comment:

Hepners Blog said...

Very Cool! Never heard of it...maybe we can join you guys next year...looks fun!