Monday, March 12, 2012

Mom

Mom and I 
Twenty-one years ago today, I was sitting beside my mom's bed with my Aunt Virginia, holding my mom's hand, telling her that it was OK for her to go on to Jesus.  That memory is burned into my head.  I watched her breathing slow down until she just didn't take another breath.  Aunt Virginia and I looked at the hospice nurse, who just nodded her head.  Mom was gone.

It was all so peaceful.  Earlier in the day, a couple of friends had come over to say goodbye to Mom, including our dear friend Herb Fortenberry, who sang some of Mom's favorite songs.  Dad had been there, but not knowing how long Mom would be with us, left to go to the radio station to make some broadcasts.  I really believe that Mom waited until he left before she could completely let go.  Their love was so strong.  She just couldn't leave him.

Mom had been sick for 18 years with Cushing's Disease.  It took almost five years of suffering before she even got a diagnosis.  Once she had that, she underwent treatment at MD Anderson Hospital in Houston, including brain surgery and experimental treatments for this incurable disease.  We are so grateful for the incredible care that she received there.  Because of what they learned from Mom's case, Cushing's Disease is completely treatable today.

In 1982, my sister and I were Christmas shopping with her when she suffered a major stroke.  I was 12 and Rach was 10.  We were terribly frightened.  The stroke left Mom paralyzed on her left side.  For the next 8 years, Mom's sidekicks were Esmeralda (her wheelchair) and Fred (her walker).  Through all of the difficult times, humor and God's grace kept us going.

I'll never forget the incredible love poured on our family by our church family.  Meals, visits, special outings for us kids, prayers, and so much more became the norm.  This is what the body of Christ is all about.  They carried us during those years.

The ache is still there.  The hole is still there.  But there is hope!  Because of Jesus, I know I will see Mom again.  We will run and laugh and hug and sing and praise God together!

Dad, Mark, Rach, Virginia, Don, Val and Gayle - I love you.  Thinking of you today, too.  I'm so thankful for our family.

1 comment:

Joel and Rach said...

I love you, too, Julie!! Thank you for posting this. Love, Rach