A lot has happened since my last post. I was so busy over the past week - sorry I didn't update!
I mentioned in the last post that Karl and Darko were digging the well deeper. Well, Karl came home that evening with his arm hurting and swollen. It had begun raining, so Darko left early the next morning, since they couldn't dig. Karl's arm continued to hurt all day, so we called our friend Jordan to make sure we'd be going to the correct hospital. He offered to take us to this lady who could make it all better. With many doubts, we headed out to see her. Jordan knocked on her door, and she opened it up. Jordan asked if she would please take a look at his friend's arm. She rolled her eyes, gave a huge sigh of disgust, then turned around and walked into the kitchen, leaving the door open for us to follow her in. What a welcome! She had Karl sit and began moving his wrist, fingers and arm all around. She'd do that for a few minutes then say, "It is all better now." Karl politely said, "No, it actually hurts worse." So, she moved it around more, again proclaiming him healed, which he denied. With sweat beading on his forehead, grasping my hand in pain and looking like he would pass out any minute, the lady finally declared, "Well, it might be broken. You need to go on to the hospital." So, we went on to the hospital (after paying her for her "services," mind you!). At the hospital, the doctor took one look at his arm, touching it for about 2 seconds, asked what happened (Karl still really didn't know other than after digging the well it was swollen and painful). Without an x-ray or anything, the doctor said that he had sprained a tendon and needed a cast for 2 weeks. They put a cast on, but put the plaster directly on the skin - no "sock" or anything before the plaster to protect the skin! The cast lasted only about 3 hours before Karl cut it off and put on a brace that Scott had when he broke his arm. So, he's had it immobilized for about a week now. It is better, but still not totally healed. Always an adventure in medical matters.
After that, I had to kick into gear to get things ready for the weekend retreat. Ziza and I planned the menu, bought the groceries and began working! We had a retreat at the camp for workers in South Serbia, and Ziza and I were the cooks. The retreat was wonderful!! Our good friend, Daniel, came and spoke on Matthew 14:22-33. He talked about how we need to listen to the mission or goal that Jesus gives us (v.22), we have to untie the boat (let go of the things holding us back), start working, but realize that we have to balance work and prayer, keep our eyes on Jesus during the storms, recognize that Jesus is the Son of God and worship and serve Him! It was a great encouragement. Ziza and I were in the kitchen most of the time, but it was such a blessing to serve everyone. By the end, we were so exhausted! We got home about 5pm, and I was asleep by 8pm. I didn't wake up until 9am!! Thirteen hours! I had started getting a cold as well, and by Monday afternoon, my sinuses were killing me. I ended up sleeping another 3 hours Monday afternoon, slept 9 hours Monday night, and took a two hour nap on Tuesday! I'm taking meds now for the sinus infection and am finally feeling part of the world again!
Also last week was my aunt and uncle's 50th wedding anniversary!!! Congratulations to Uncle Don and Aunt Virginia!
Hard to believe that September is quickly coming to a close. Is this how it's going to be? Every month will go by faster and faster? I thought they would drag along with no kids here. But it's flying by me! I realized something this morning as I was getting dressed. I pulled out a blouse that is "dry clean only." And I didn't have to hesitate before putting it on! I guess these are the "golden years" - that time where I can wear "dry clean only" without worrying about kids staining it. I know that grandkids are in the future, so the "dry clean only" clothes will be put away when that happens (and just to clarify, that's still way, way in the future!!). So these "golden years" of "dry clean only" clothes will only be ruined if I stain them myself and have no kids around to blame... :)
I mentioned in the last post that Karl and Darko were digging the well deeper. Well, Karl came home that evening with his arm hurting and swollen. It had begun raining, so Darko left early the next morning, since they couldn't dig. Karl's arm continued to hurt all day, so we called our friend Jordan to make sure we'd be going to the correct hospital. He offered to take us to this lady who could make it all better. With many doubts, we headed out to see her. Jordan knocked on her door, and she opened it up. Jordan asked if she would please take a look at his friend's arm. She rolled her eyes, gave a huge sigh of disgust, then turned around and walked into the kitchen, leaving the door open for us to follow her in. What a welcome! She had Karl sit and began moving his wrist, fingers and arm all around. She'd do that for a few minutes then say, "It is all better now." Karl politely said, "No, it actually hurts worse." So, she moved it around more, again proclaiming him healed, which he denied. With sweat beading on his forehead, grasping my hand in pain and looking like he would pass out any minute, the lady finally declared, "Well, it might be broken. You need to go on to the hospital." So, we went on to the hospital (after paying her for her "services," mind you!). At the hospital, the doctor took one look at his arm, touching it for about 2 seconds, asked what happened (Karl still really didn't know other than after digging the well it was swollen and painful). Without an x-ray or anything, the doctor said that he had sprained a tendon and needed a cast for 2 weeks. They put a cast on, but put the plaster directly on the skin - no "sock" or anything before the plaster to protect the skin! The cast lasted only about 3 hours before Karl cut it off and put on a brace that Scott had when he broke his arm. So, he's had it immobilized for about a week now. It is better, but still not totally healed. Always an adventure in medical matters.
After that, I had to kick into gear to get things ready for the weekend retreat. Ziza and I planned the menu, bought the groceries and began working! We had a retreat at the camp for workers in South Serbia, and Ziza and I were the cooks. The retreat was wonderful!! Our good friend, Daniel, came and spoke on Matthew 14:22-33. He talked about how we need to listen to the mission or goal that Jesus gives us (v.22), we have to untie the boat (let go of the things holding us back), start working, but realize that we have to balance work and prayer, keep our eyes on Jesus during the storms, recognize that Jesus is the Son of God and worship and serve Him! It was a great encouragement. Ziza and I were in the kitchen most of the time, but it was such a blessing to serve everyone. By the end, we were so exhausted! We got home about 5pm, and I was asleep by 8pm. I didn't wake up until 9am!! Thirteen hours! I had started getting a cold as well, and by Monday afternoon, my sinuses were killing me. I ended up sleeping another 3 hours Monday afternoon, slept 9 hours Monday night, and took a two hour nap on Tuesday! I'm taking meds now for the sinus infection and am finally feeling part of the world again!Also last week was my aunt and uncle's 50th wedding anniversary!!! Congratulations to Uncle Don and Aunt Virginia!
Hard to believe that September is quickly coming to a close. Is this how it's going to be? Every month will go by faster and faster? I thought they would drag along with no kids here. But it's flying by me! I realized something this morning as I was getting dressed. I pulled out a blouse that is "dry clean only." And I didn't have to hesitate before putting it on! I guess these are the "golden years" - that time where I can wear "dry clean only" without worrying about kids staining it. I know that grandkids are in the future, so the "dry clean only" clothes will be put away when that happens (and just to clarify, that's still way, way in the future!!). So these "golden years" of "dry clean only" clothes will only be ruined if I stain them myself and have no kids around to blame... :)


No comments:
Post a Comment