Saturday, May 26, 2012

Madrid

Yesterday I returned from a trip to Madrid for a language coach training.  We learned PILAT, which is a very effective way of learning a language.  In fact, we learned quite a bit of French in just two days!  It's so great to be able to say, "Hier je suis allé à la banque en bateau" (Yesterday I went to the bank by boat.)  :)  Actually, we learned pronouns, four rooms of a house, four locations, four action verbs (present and past tense), three modes of transportation, and times (last night, yesterday, the day before yesterday).  All in two days.  I look forward to teaching this method to others in the future!  It works!

While we were in Mardrid, our wonderful hosts, Dwight and Mara, took us to see the sights around Madrid.  We spent one evening in their town, Alcala, where Cervantes was born.  As an English major who spent a lot of time reading and analyzing Don Quixote, I was excited to be there!  Here I am with the chivalrous windmill slayer!  
  

Here's a pic of us in the plaza in Alcala near the statue of Cervantes.  
Another evening we went to visit other places around their town, including seeing the world's smallest bullfighting ring.  Then we went to a place called Europa Park that is a lovely park full of replicas of famous landmarks found in cities across Europe.  We saw the Eiffel Tower, the London Bridge, the Brandenburg Gate, and Michelangelo's David.  Click here to read more about this great park.  

Thursday evening we went into Madrid.  We walked around the Plaza Mayor, had dinner in a quaint restaurant, walked around the Puerta del Sol, then went to the Chocolateria San Gines and enjoyed dipping the delicious churros in hot chocolate.  Yummy!  

Training and tourism!  Great match!  Most of all, I enjoyed the fellowship of friends and colleagues.  Came home full of joy!

1 comment:

Marlene said...

I see my friend, Andrea Nurse in your pictures...I had her twin daughters in my class at ILC and have followed their work ever since...love her!!