Saturday, September 20, 2008

Fall and Family

I can't believe it's been so long since my last post. Well, time flies! It is September now, the temperatures are cooler, it's rainy, the sun goes down earlier, and the kids are busy with school. They aren't the only ones busy with school - my days are busy with giving tests, grading work, supervising their learning, and locating supplies for the lessons! It's good.

God has been teaching me recently more and more about "seasons." There have been so many different seasons in my life. Since Karl and I got married, we had a short season of just the two of us. Then Kurt, Kelli and Scott came, and the season of mommy-hood consumed my days, months, and years. As they got older, there were seasons of greater involvement in other activities and ministries. Now, with only two kids at home and preparing for being back in the US next year, the season has turned back to more time spent with the kids. While I spent more time outside the home the past couple of years, God has really impressed upon me that my time is to be spent in the home this year. Kurt is already gone (being at boarding school and this being his senior year has greatly increased his sense of independence). Next year shouldn't be that big of an adjustment as he goes off to college. But, he still needs the parenting (albeit over-the-phone) and "final adjustments" before he does go off on his own. Kelli is a sophomore this year and needs more attention than she got last year. It's great having her home with us. Scott is becoming a young man and needs the direction and instruction to be a man of God. I can't do that if I'm off trying to minister to others. My kids are my mission field. And it's a joy to minister to them!

Karl and I continue to grow more and more in love with each other as the years go by. It's hard to believe that next year will be 20 years that we've been married! Seems like it's flown by, but also that we've been together forever. I can't thank the Lord enough for him and the kids. What a blessing.

No comments: