Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Getting my chicks settled in their nests

Last weekend we made the journey to Kandern, Germany to take Scott to his new "nest."  He is attending Black Forest Academy this year.  We moved his stuff into his dorm room on a very hot day - to the fourth floor!  Ugh!  We helped him unpack and get settled.  We asked his dorm staff if there was a fan for his room (remember, we're in Europe with no A/C!) or if we needed to go buy one.  The dorm dad said that there was one, but that it was broken.  You should've seen Scott's face - it was like he was just offered a million dollars or chocolate!  He asked Greg if he could take a look at it and try to fix it!  Greg said that he could and that he could probably have it if he got it running.  So Scott pulled out his tools, took the fan apart, found that a wire had come loose, pulled out his sautering iron, and with Karl's help, put it back together.  Amazing.  Karl was beaming with pride.  "He really is just like me," Karl commented.  :)  So, Scott had a fan in his room.

A day and a half later, I flew to Texas to help Kelli move into her college.  While we were still in Houston, I called Scott to see how he was liking living in Germany.  He said he loves it all!  That makes Momma's heart happy!  Then I asked him if he was eating his vegetables (isn't that what we're supposed to do?), and he said that he was.  Then I asked him if he was eating his fruits.  There was silence on the other end of the phone.  Then after awhile, he said, "Well, we had peach cobbler last night!"  So typically Scott!  :)  Love that boy!

Saturday Kelli and I moved her stuff into her dorm on campus.  Thankfully, there are student volunteers who take everything up to the room!  And there is A/C!  And there is an elevator!  Oh, life in America!  :)  We spent the afternoon unpacking and setting it all up, making a trip to Walmart (along with every other student!), and getting her all settled.  I'm so excited for her!  She has a great room, a really sweet roommate, and is starting a great adventure!  And she has her fish with her!  :)

I talked with Kurt yesterday, and his third year of college has started well.  His classes are easier than last year, so he's glad about that.  He is happy with his dorm and roommates, although he'd still like to be in an apartment next semester.  I hope he's able to get that.  I know he'd like to cook his own meals.

God is so good.  My chicks are in their nests that the Lord has prepared for them.  I have peace and joy in knowing that He has paved the way for each one, that He is with each one, and that He has great things in store for each one!  Although our nest is empty of these chicks, we are so happy to see our precious kids fly!  Thank you, Lord!  You have given me so much JOY!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

so glad you were able to get them settled. I was thinking the same thing Karl thought when I read that Scott fixed the fan! Chip off the 'ol block.

Miss you!